Last week at the church picnic one of the moms asked me to sub for her in the 3rd&4th grade Sunday School class. Somewhat cornered with a general desire to help I agreed. I questioned whether or not I was allowed to step in. She asked why I thought I was unqualified and I mumbed "um...I'm kinda new here??..." (I could have elaborated with... I haven't read the Westminster Confession...I don't know the 5 points of Calvanism) But apparently there was little chance of me and the 10 year olds getting into a Calvinist/Armenian or baptism debate, so I was good to go.
When I opened the material in the week I was impressed by the depth to which it studied the commandment that we should not murder. The book continued to emphasize that I needed to drive home the point that killing in war and self defense was not murder. I was a litte worried about this new class since I didn't know the kids. I've had years of experience teaching Sunday school. There were the naughty little boys who lead me to spice up the lessons by lighting things on fire, creating explosions, or breaking things on the ground to keep them interested. (and forget writing and crafts!). Then there were the years of 7th and 8th grade girls who were kind of silent at times....
I forgot how chatty little girls are and I had two that kept going. The one came in the room and upon my announcement of the particular commandment she stated emphatically that this was her most favorite commandment "because its like against killing which is like against war and like I don't think we should be killing in war..." I was thinking, great we're starting out in the dangerous territory.
Things did end up going well and I encouraged them to talk to their parents about some things. =0)) We stuck to the Scriptures and the girls little stores...(wait, now HOW did that apply?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment