Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Taking the "Little Opportunities"

Lately I've been asking God to open my eyes to the opportunities I have in my daily life. Today did not follow my plans. I assumed I'd spend most of the day going over the math books my mom had given me in preparation for my test (assuming I'd take it tomorrow). Instead, I drove my dad to Sams and to the fresh veggie market.

On our way home we were near the scene of an accident where a semi hit the passenger side of an SUV. I didn't really see what happened, but saw the moment of impact. Our car was now blocked by the semi, so Dad and I got out to check on the driver and remind him not to move. The drivers door was jammed (and the passenger side of the car folded in), so I went into the back seat to talk to him. I felt pretty helpless. He was pinned and the only thing to do was keep his neck still. (the voice of the inner EMT)

Suddenly I was reminded that I had the BEST tool available. I could pray. So I asked him if it was ok if I laid my hands on him and prayed. He said he would really appreciate it, so I just asked God for the words to say and prayed out load for a few minutes. The firemen arrived quickly and they took over. Dad and I said one last prayer. I have no idea what happened after. I didn't stay to see them pull him out. I just prayed, but that was probably the BEST thing to do. We'll leave the rest in God's hands.

Later in the afternoon I got a call from a friend. She told me about a mutual acquaintance who is living outside the coutnry and in need of a good medical contact for possible surgery. I prayed and asked the Lord who I should call. Within half an hour I had the names of the surgial contact for the Christian Medical Association and two midwives in their area.

I only got a few hours to work on the math. As I look back over my day though I have to rejoice that I got to be a part of what God was doing. Sure it was just in my little corner of the state and just some "little opportunities", but they must have been important to the Lord. I can muse about my disappointments or choose to rejoice in my time with God.

If you haven't read Brother Andrews book God's Call (or the Voice of the Martyrs edition The Calling I really encourage you to pick it up. It gave me a good kick in the rear end again. I like the VOM edition because it also gives you quotes from people around the world, testimonies from home, and country profiles. The front cover says it can be quoted in brief reviews, so hopefully it's ok for me to post this one quote.

"Most of us often have the idea that God must have a special calling on our lives, a particular end for us to accomplish, and we must find out what it is for us. If we have no such calling from God, then we have not been selected by him for special service, and we can only live out our lives as drones in the kingdom, one monotonous and unimportant day at a time. But we need to understand that that is our idea, not God's. We must never make our dreams for success or accomplishment as God's purpose for us: his purpose may well be just the opposite. God's end, his purpose for us, is the process."

He goes on to quote Oswald Chambers
"...His purpose is for this minute, not for something in the future. We have nothing to do with the afterwards of obedience; we get it wrong when we think of the afterwards. What men call training and preparation, God calls the end...If we realize that obedience is the end, then each moment is precious."

(p.34, Andrew Brother (2002) The Calling, Fleming H Revel)

No comments: