I've just been introduced to some of Mark Driscoll's thoughts and found the Resurgence Movement site where he blogs. Apparently he claims to use some Emergent practices, but is a self-claiming Bible-thumping Fundamentalist. (sounds kind of cool to me...btw Mars Hill Church founded by Driscoll and Mars Hill Bible Church with Rob Bell are two different things).
While on that site I found this blog entry by Anthony Bradley entitled Orphans vs. American Dream. I've always thought about adoption if I were married and this article makes is so plain that we as Christians could easily get orphans out of foster care. In his opening paragraph the author states that there are approximately 115,000 orphaned kids in foster care waiting for adoption. A recent survey found there are 224 million so-called Christians in America. The Bible is clear that pure religion includes caring for orphans and widows. (James 1:27) So isn't it reasonable that even if everyone can't adopt many could and fix this problem and save kids?!?
Its easy for me as a single to point fingers, but the article still challenged me where I am now. As I look at the title again I'm reminded that the "dream" and great nursing sign on bonuses and a nice house aren't where its at. Life is so much more. Where am I investing now? Having a limited budget while going to school might be a pain at times, but it is freeing me up in the future and I won't face huge credit card bills or student loans.
I guess this is a good time to announce that I'm hoping to move into a mission house with my friends in one of the worst, crime-ridden streets here. We have a small complex with 4 apartments and hope to build relationships and be the hands and feet of Jesus in that area. Local churches have been working there and "plowing the ground" so to speak. Andrea used to live in this area and I look forward to being her roommate (hopefully). Please keep everyone in your prayers. I'm not sure how much I'll actually be there between school, clinicals, and work but I'm willing. I'm sure we'll meet plenty of fatherless kids and find something better than the ever illusive "American Dream"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment