Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Of Bed Baths and Other Nursing School Adventures....

Today was hailed by my classmates as the dreaded bed bath day. Yes, to truly empathize with our patients we had to pair up with a classmate and give each other a sponge bath in a hospital bed while donning a lovely hospital gown. So, after a morning of watching graphic videos we went to the lab rooms in groups of 10. Luckily for us we could wear a pair of shorts under the skimpy gown and didn't have to do the COMPLETE bath. There are moments when we are going over procedures (like yesterdays long lab on bed making) that I think, "Um, what am I doing??"

So far I've still been enjoying things, but today I started to loose my calm attitude at one point when forced to practice taking a BP on a new "high-tech" mannequin. Yes, I accept the fact that my professors consider me ignorant. However, I tried to assure the proctor that the other teacher had confirmed I was very good at BPs. (How many did we do EVERY morning in our maternity clinic?!?!) Though she had set the mannequin to a certain BP in the computer that was NOT the reading I was getting. She finally consented to check and realized that indeed the mannequin was not working correctly. Finally in frustration she told me that I was fine and brushed me off.

So, there was definitely something there I need to address. I guess there is still a little defensive pride I need to be willing to lay down. Still learning...

I've made Tuesday nights my "fun" nights. Yesterday I went to a potlock thrown together at the last minute to introduce people looking for some fellowship and prayer. Afterward Della and I headed downtown.

I need to get back to my patho notes....

No comments: