
I remember talking to Asians about America and how not everyone lived in houses like those pictured in the movies. At time it was frustrating when people overseas just assumed the movies portrayed all Americans. (Especially that random guy in the elevator of the 5-star hotel who leaned over to me in perfect English saying “Kiss me”) My conversations always assumed I never believed what I saw. =0)) It was not until I followed much of the route from the movie Elizabethtown, that I had opportunity to laugh at my own gullibility.
I had driven much of the route pictured on the road trip before and I had no reason to doubt. The way the town of Elizabethtown, KY was portrayed to me in the movie was that of just one of those old tiny cities tucked away. Imagine my surprise when, just after the big highway exit sign, I found multiple fast-food restaurants, mega-pharmacies, supermarkets, and random sprinklings of commercial office buildings. Sure, there were signs to a historical district, but the exit looked just like many other bustling exits on the highway. Why didn’t Orlando Bloom stay at his choice of one of the hotels that resembled motel-6 just down from the MASSIVE visitors center. Hmmm...maybe I need to watch it again to see if this was just my perception.

No comments:
Post a Comment