Thursday, May 24, 2007

Tales of Clinicals...Coffee...and Folk Music

I mentioned earlier I would blog a little about my clinical experience this semester. Its really hard to sum it up and I have a host of stories. What I did take away was an appreciation of the time I have as a student. I had the time to spend talking to patients, hearing their stories, and hearing their needs. There were many times I felt out of my element working with geriatric patients (instead of moms and babies), but I learned a lot!

Often my job was to do clean up. Thanks to being on heavy sedatives during my hospital stay in Asia I know how awkward it can be to be put on a bed pan or walked to the bathroom. I tried to keep the process as dignified for my patients and make sure they didn't feel they were a bother. Often these weren't my specific patient I was just helping on the floor. Over the course of the day doing various tasks and answering call lights I met some people with amazing stories. There was a woman who had owned nurseries and knew an amazing amount of info on flowers. There was a man who had made it in NYC then gone on to pastor.

I'll never forget my little elderly guy whom I told we were going to fix up. After a bath I did his hair, gave him a foot massage and got him a shave. We had him up in the chair and I told him that he sure did look dapper. He got the biggest smile. (that was a work-out) There was the women with the most horrid bed sores for which we had to care. I held her hand and tried to reassure her and explain what the team was doing during wound care.

I had my share of those labeled "difficult" patients. But I found even they had stories and often just needed someone to sit down and listen on their level. By the end of the day I was wiped out but it felt good to work hard. I know when I'm a nurse that I will likely not have this freedom with time. So, I enjoy it as a student. I got to see how messed up health care is in my own country and that was good reality check. Maybe I didn't have an "exciting" round of clinicals but I learned lessons of how to care in new ways.

Today we had our huge Pharmacology test and last official day of class before finals begin. I was out with my study group last night at 11pm downing my 4th cup of coffee and feeling wired. I spent part of the evening with Della and tried to relax about the test by watching a matinée. I now have hope that if an ogre can have super cute babies, maybe I don't need to worry that my kids will be ugly.

Tuesday night around a bonfire praying, reading, toasting smores, and listening to a group of passionate people God began to show me that He is opening my eyes to some needs of women here. It feels like an overwhelming task and I told some friends I feel that same feeling I had standing on the edge of the slums feeling so small and asking "but what can I do...I'm so small...so scared" For now I can pray and look for the daily opportunities God brings. Who knows what the future will bring.

Out with friends from church....

No comments: