Wednesday, February 22, 2006

DFW: Gateway To The Next Adventure In Life

DFW has become somewhat of a gateway leading to major events in my life. The last time I flew out of this airport I had been to NM and was pretty certain after that semester I'd be leaving my other school and heading towards my missionary midwife school. It was the start of a big change...moving out of the house...branching out on my own...finally going oversees for more than a few months.

In '01 I was in this airport on my way to a conference that launched me into my first midwife program. December 30, 1999 I left the AA terminal in the hype of millennium’s eve. Summer '95 Charity and I cam through on the same flight as I returned from my first big mission trip. (And I couldn't leave out driving BY the airport in '97 when we moved across the country)

So here I am again...sitting in the DFW airport on the verge of the next phase of life. (trying to decide if I should stay here for a bit or go back overseas ASAP) For the first time the world seems like a HUGE open door. I've learned in the last two years that God and his plan may not be in the little box I imagined.

So how is Melissa 2006 different? (Pardon me for a bit as I sound like Bob Dole and use the 3rd person narrative) Perhaps Melissa '06 has realized that she can't conquer the world by herself and that might not even be what she wants. She's realized she needs and values relationships and that God is not slow. Sometimes it may feel like He's taking the long route, but that's because there is so much along the way.

And this time the Melissa leaving DFW is NOT crying...she's smiling and singing knowing that even though this past year has been sooo hard and tested her to her core she can sing...

Give to the wind your fear
Hope and be undismayed
God hears your sighs and counts your tears
God will lift up, God will lift up lift up your head...

Through waves and clouds and storms,
He gently clears the way
Wait because in His time, so shall this night
Soon end in joy, soon end in joy
Soon end in joy, soon end in joy
Soon end in joy, soon end in joy
Soon end in joy, soon end in joy
Soon end in joy, soon end in joy
God will lift up your head
Soon end in joy (3 Times)
God will lift up your head
God will lift your head (3 times)

(Jars of Clay Redemption Songs)

No comments: